New Orleans @ Carolina
Current Records: New Orleans 1-0; Carolina 1-0
Last Season Records: Carolina 5-11; New Orleans 12-4
What to Know
The New Orleans Saints are 9-2 against the Carolina Panthers since October of 2016, and they’ll have a chance to extend that success on Sunday. The Saints and Carolina will face off in an NFC South battle at 1 p.m. ET at Bank of America Stadium. New Orleans won both of their matches against the Panthers last season (27-24 and 33-7) and is aiming for the same result this time around.
You’re bound to get a positive result if you outscore your opponent every quarter, and that’s exactly how it played out for New Orleans last week. They claimed a resounding 38-3 victory over the Green Bay Packers at home. The game was all but wrapped up at the end of the third, by which point New Orleans had established a 24-3 advantage. New Orleans QB Jameis Winston earned his paycheck as he passed for five TDs and 148 yards on 20 attempts in addition to picking up 37 yards on the ground. Near the top of the highlight reel was Winston’s 55-yard TD bomb to WR Deonte Harris in the fourth quarter.
Meanwhile, Carolina didn’t have too much breathing room in their matchup with the New York Jets last week, but they still walked away with a 19-14 win. The team ran away with 16 points in the first half and mostly just sat on those in the second to pick up the win. Among those leading the charge for the Panthers was RB Christian McCaffrey, who caught nine passes for 89 yards.
Carolina’s defense was a presence as well, as it embarrassed the Jets’ offensive line to sack QB Zach Wilson six times for a total loss of 51 yards. It was a group effort with six guys contributing.
Their wins lifted both teams to an identical 1-0. Watch the contest and check back on CBS Sports to find out who keeps up the positive energy and who hits a stumbling block.
How To Watch
- When: Sunday at 1 p.m. ET
- Where: Bank of America Stadium — Charlotte, North Carolina
- TV: FOX
- Online streaming: fuboTV (Try for free. Regional restrictions may apply.)
- Follow: CBS Sports App
The Saints are a 3.5-point favorite against the Panthers, according to the latest NFL odds.
New Orleans have won nine out of their last 13 games against Carolina.
- Jan 03, 2021 – New Orleans 33 vs. Carolina 7
- Oct 25, 2020 – New Orleans 27 vs. Carolina 24
- Dec 29, 2019 – New Orleans 42 vs. Carolina 10
- Nov 24, 2019 – New Orleans 34 vs. Carolina 31
- Dec 30, 2018 – Carolina 33 vs. New Orleans 14
- Dec 17, 2018 – New Orleans 12 vs. Carolina 9
- Jan 07, 2018 – New Orleans 31 vs. Carolina 26
- Dec 03, 2017 – New Orleans 31 vs. Carolina 21
- Sep 24, 2017 – New Orleans 34 vs. Carolina 13
- Nov 17, 2016 – Carolina 23 vs. New Orleans 20
- Oct 16, 2016 – New Orleans 41 vs. Carolina 38
- Dec 06, 2015 – Carolina 41 vs. New Orleans 38
- Sep 27, 2015 – Carolina 27 vs. New Orleans 22