Search in Florida condo building collapse stretches into sixth day

The search through a massive pile of rubble stretched into a sixth day on Tuesday as 149 people remain unaccounted for following last week’s condo building collapse in Surfside, Florida. Mayor Daniella Levine Cava of Miami-Dade County said the death toll climbed to 12 after a body was discovered on Tuesday. 

No one has been pulled alive from the rubble since last Thursday, hours after the condominium crumbled in the middle of the night, but search teams are continuing their efforts in hopes of finding survivors. 

“As we come across small voids, that’s where we continue to focus and continue moving and digging through deeper to see if we can find anything further,” said Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Chief Alan Cominsky.

While it’s not clear what caused the building to collapse, there is concerning new information about possible structural damage.

An anonymous contractor shared photographs with the Miami Herald that show a wet floor, cracked concrete and severely-corroded rebar in the building’s pool equipment room. The photos were taken just two days before the building fell, CBS News’ David Begnaud reports. 

The contractor also reported deep standing water in the parking garage, just below the pool deck.

It’s not known if either played a role in the collapse. 

US-ACCIDENT-CONSTRUCTION
Search and Rescue teams look for possible survivors in the partially collapsed 12-story Champlain Towers South condo building on June 29, 2021 in Surfside, Florida.  CHANDAN KHANNA/AFP via Getty Images